50 top kid-friendly tablets parents can trust
If your kid wrote “tablet” on their Christmas wish list, you may be surprised at the number of available kid-friendly tablet options on the market. You could easily become intimidated choosing between tablets differing by size, operating system, app availability, battery life, storage capacity, and more. To make your tablet selection process a little easier, we have rounded up 50 of the top kid-friendly tablets. Our tablets come from a variety of manufacturers and cover a wide price range. We also chose tablets that have some of the best features for kids, including ease-of-use, parental controls, durability, and built-in safety controls, and we considered reviews and ratings from leading parenting sites, technology sites, and consumer sites. Best of all, we’ve grouped our suggestions by age appropriateness so that you have a better idea of which tablets are geared toward which kids (in no particular order).
- Best tablets for toddlers (ages 1-3)
- Tablets for preschoolers – early elementary students (ages 3-8)
- Top tween tablets (ages 8-12)
- Best tablets for teens (ages 13+)
- Top phablets for teens (ages 13+)
Best tables for toddlers (ages 1-3)
1. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Tablet
Fisher-Price is one of the best-known toy manufacturers, so it’s probably not much surprise that their Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Tablet made our best of list for toddlers. This tablet features Smart Stages, which enables parents to change the learning content as the child grows and develops. Level 1 begins at the exploring stage for babies 12 months and older, level 2 is set at the encouraging stage for babies 18 months and older, and level 3 is set at the pretending stage for babies 24 months and older. It’s important to note that this tablet serves as an introduction to tablets and is a toy.
- Introduces toddlers to their letters, first words, animals, and more
- Includes lots of music, phrases, and fun sounds
- Fresh songs, phrases, and sounds at each level
- Available in four colors
- 28 app buttons to activate sounds and music
- Tablet screen lights up and twinkles along to songs and phrases
2. Sprout Channel Cubby
As the most trusted preschool TV network, Sprout knows toddlers and preschoolers. That’s why their Sprout channel Cubby is so in-tune with young children. This tablet, for kids ages two and up, gives kids access to fun and educational games featuring Sprout Channel characters. Kids use this table to learn numbers, spelling, puzzles, and much more.
- Sprout Channel games
- Sprout Channel apps
- Color favorite Sprout Channel friends with Crayola
- Access hundreds of children’s read-along books with MeeGenius; includes 10 free titles
- Educational games covering letters, numbers, reading, and math from Intellijoy
- 28 safe, fun apps
- COPPA Compliant web browsing
- More than 40 kid- friendly videos featuring beloved Sprout Channel shows
- Parental controls to manage and customize time settings, available content, and more
Cost: *approx. $86
Tablets for preschoolers – early elementary students (ages 3-8)
3. Amazon Fire Kids Edition
Designed especially for kids, the Amazon Fire Kids Edition tablet features a 7-inch display, Wi-Fi, 8GB or 16GB, and a kid-proof case available in three colors. Parents love the Amazon Fire Kids Edition because it includes a 2-year worry-free guarantee that covers anything that happens to the tablet. Simply return it to Amazon, and the company will replace it for free; the warranty also protects against electrical and mechanical breakdowns.
- Kid-proof case designed for worry-free protection against drops, bumps, and other trouble caused by kids
- Full-featured tablet ideal for watching movies, launching apps, and playing games and videos smoothly
- MicroSD card slot expands storage by 128GB
- Free, unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with the tablet
- Includes one ear of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited with more than 10,000 kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games
- 8GB: *approx. $89.99
- 16GB: *approx. $99.99
4. Fisher-Price Learning Tablet Powered by Nabi
Nabi offers several tablets, but they teamed up with Fisher-Price to make one truly geared toward younger children. The Fisher-Price Learning Tablet Powered by Nabi helps young learners become big thinkers. This ultimate learning tool delivers a fun, engaging introduction to letters, phonics, numbers, colors, and shapes with Fisher-Price friends.
- Includes 35 learning apps and games
- Designed to prepare children for kindergarten
- Includes a Fisher-Price blue bumper for durability and protection
- Full-featured Android tablet with Google Play and 400 features dedicated to a kid-focused experience
- Includes kid-safe mobile app store, Wings Learning System, suite of parental controls, animated Time Controls, and more
5. LeapPad Platinum
LeapFrog offers learning experiences created by experts and designed for fun. Their LeapPad Platinum is an all-new tablet geared toward kids ages 3-9. The LeapPad Platinum Tablet features a 7-inch, multi-touch screen with the sharp graphics and fast processor kids have come to expect when using their parents’ smartphones and tablets.
- Available in green or purple
- Wi-Fi with kid-safe web
- Access more than 1,000 games designed or approved by LeapFrog educators
- 7-inch, high-resolution touchscreen with crisp, sharp graphics that makes learning come to life in a fun, engaging way
Cost: *Approx. $129.99
6. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Kids
Samsung offers its Galaxy Tab 3 Kids Edition, a 7-inch table with a bumper case that is pre-loaded with children’s applications such as games, camera, paint tools, and more. Parents get peace of mind knowing that they can control the apps their kids have access to with the Application Manager and that they can utilize the Time Management feature to set specific time periods for use.
- 8-hour battery
- Pre-loaded with Kid’s Store to unlock educational content
- Password-protected lock screen appears when kids use the tablet for the allotted time
- Provides an exciting, interactive experience
Cost: *Approx. $279.99
7. Edutab Tablet
The Edutab Tablet is designed for kids ages three and up. This tablet’s touch-sensitive controls and light-weight feel make it easy for small children to use on their own. If you’re looking for an inexpensive introduction to tablets for preschoolers that delivers educational games and activities, the Edutab Tablet may be the right choice. It’s important to note that the Edutab Tablet is a toy.
- Designed especially for kids
- Includes seven educational games and activities to teach numbers, animal sounds, music, and math
- Colorful static screen with easy-to-use buttons
- English and Spanish mode
8. Discovery Kids – Teach & Talk Bilingual Tablet
The Discovery Kids Teach & Talk Bilingual Tablet makes learning fun with more than 60 interactive activities and allows use in English and Spanish. Perfect for preschoolers, this tablet and features a large LCD display and digital speech technology.
- Requires no additional software purchases
- A variety of entertaining activities for preschool-age kids
- Full-function keypad with category buttons
- Learn about history, sports, animals, music, and more
- Portable size
Cost: *Approx. $24.99
9. Nabi Jr.
Nabi Jr. is designed for kindergarten readiness. This tablet is durable and can handle drops and bumps while young kids get a head-start on their education. Curriculum is personalized to proficiency levels and video tutorials by teachers walk kids through core concepts and math, reading, and writing fundamentals.
- Kid-safe mode gives kids access only to parent-approved apps, games, and content
- Parent Mode with parental controls and access to the standard Android experience
- Time Controls enable parents to manage appropriate screen time, which is enforced by fun, animated character videos
- Reward kids for making good choices with parent-assigned chores in the Chore List or for mastering fundamentals in the Wings Learning System, which allows kids to earn Nabi coins for apps, games, and eBooks in the Treasure Box
Cost: *Approx. $49.99
10. VTech InnoTab 3S
VTech is among the leaders in preschool toys, and their InnoTab 3S is an impressive tablet that delivers fun, age-appropriate learning games for kids ages three and up. Older kids will enjoy expanded functions of this tablet, including exchanging and sharing messages, photos, and more with parents over a kid-safe Wi-Fi connection.
- Includes VTech Kid Connect Basic for wirelessly exchanging text and fun stickers between the tablet and parents’ smartphones
- InnoTab 3S Deluxe Apps Package available to enhance VTech Kid Connect features
- Kid-safe Wi-Fi connection
- Kids explore hundreds of games, eBooks, videos, and music with Wish List Maker
- 180º rotating camera and video recorder
- Recommended for ages 3-9
Cost: *Approx. $96
11. LeapFrog Epic
LeapFrog offers the LeapFrog Epic, their most advanced Android-based tablet. LeapFrog Epic is designed to grow with children ages 3-9 and promotes learning and creative play. The LeapFrog Epic combines the best of LeapFrog with the best of the Android OS to give kids a safe, educational experience each time they use the tablet.
- Access popular Android apps like Fruit Ninja Academy, Math Master, and Doodle Jump, all sold separately
- Features LeapFrog’s exclusive Just for Me Learning technology that personalizes select games to challenge kids as they advance and grow
- Access only approved, age-appropriate web content with the LeapSearch browser
Cost: *Approx. $139.99
12. Nabi DreamTab HD 8
Nabi’s DreamTab HD 8 is designed for kids ages 6-9. This tablet features a suite of creative tools that help kids develop and explore their identity through creativity and self-expression. It also features the Wings Learning System with game-ified courseware that is designed especially to help kids master fundamentals aligned to Common Core State Standards.
- Create with Dream Pro Studio, a powerful suite of creative tools that help kids learn how to draw, animate, and author their own books or edit movies
- The only kids’ tablet that includes a high precision digital stylus that writes like a pen
- Time Controls speak to kids so they know when it’s time to take a break
- Access Treasure Box, the first mobile app created for kids to buy movies, music, TV, games, and apps, with Nabi Coins, parent-managed virtual currency that shows kids how to earn, save, and spend money
13. Kurio XTREME
Kurio delivers Android devices for families that feature some of the best-in-class parental controls, kid-safe web surfing, and preloaded apps. The Kurio XTREME 2, the latest version of this tablet designed specifically for kids ages six and up, includes more than 90 preloaded games and apps, a colorful bumper, and access to more than 150 eBooks.
- Access more apps with Google Play
- Includes the exclusive Kurio App Store, a fully-curated store filled with kid-friendly content
- Unique Safe Piggy Bank system
- Kid-safe social networking apps including kid-safe email
Cost: *Approx. $129.99
14. Dragon Touch Y88X Plus 2017 Disney Edition
Table Express is a tablet manufacturer and distributor of Dragon Touch tablets. Their Y88X Plus 2017 Disney Edition tablet is installed with bonus Disney content and features a 7-inch screen. The Dragon Touch Y88X Plus 2017 Disney Edition also includes 10 audio eBooks and three educational game apps. This tablet is suitable for kids ages 3-9.
- Kidoz Playground enables access to millions of video clips, paintings, and educational games
- Premium parental controls
- Silicon case designed exclusively for kids with an adjustable stand
Cost: *Approx. $64.99
15. Nabi Elev-8
Nabi’s Elev-8 tablet delivers everything kids ages 6-9 need in a tablet. In fact, its sleek design is made especially for kids who want a tablet that looks like it is for older kids, but it includes a bumper for kids who are a little tougher on their electronics. The Elev-8 has an 8-inch IPS display and 32GB of memory with an Octa-core processor and up to 10 hours of video playback.
- Includes six months of free Nabi Pass with unlimited movies, music, apps, TV, eBooks, learning, games, and more
- Includes the Wings Learning System with 300,000 questions and 16,000 lessons aligned to Common Core State Standards
- Comprehensive parent controls to ensure proper screen time and usage for kids
16. ClickN KIDS Tablet 2
ClickN KIDS is home to advanced reading and spelling products, including the ClickN KIDS Tablet 2. In partnership with Intel, CNK has worked to include Dual Purpose Interface (DPI) technology in this tablet to ensure an enjoyable experience for kids and parents while using it.
- Features Kiddoware top parental controls so parents can supervise what children see when using the tablet with the help of content filtering and built-in monitoring
- User-safe environment for kids
- Dynamic password-protected, full-featured environment for parents
- Shock-resistant gel case available in six colors
- Popular, fun, educational games for kids and popular Android apps for parents
- Preloaded with more than 30 apps
Cost: *Approx. $110
17. EPIK 7” Learning Tab
EPIK Learning provides instructive games and learning devices to help parents support their kids’ education and inspire them to learn. Their 7-inch learning tablet is suitable for kids ages 3-11, with interactive education games for learning levels covering pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Access award-winning math, programming, reading, and spelling curricula
- Inspired by the EPIK Kids Tab
- Ideal for beginning and struggling learners with pre-instructional, supplemental, and remedial education experiences
- Quad-core processor
- 16GB storage and 1G RAM
- Front and rear-facing webcam
- Available in four colors
18. iPad Mini 2
A more affordable iPad choice, the iPad Mini 2 is a good choice for younger kids who may not be ready to handle the more expensive iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2. Available in 32GB with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and cellular data options, the iPad Mini 2 starts at $269.
- 9-inch Retina display
- Thin, light design
- Powerful, power-efficient A7 chip for remarkable responsiveness
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Access more than 1 million apps on the App Store
- 32GB Wi-Fi: $269
- 32GB Wi-Fi and cellular: $399
The LeapPad3 is suitable for kids ages 3-9 and is known as LeapFrog’s fast, high-performance tablet. Available in green or purple, the LeapPad3 is a Wi-Fi tablet with a powerful quad-core processor and sleek design.
- Access the learning library of more than 1,000 games and apps, eBooks, videos, and more
- Kid-safe web surfing with LeapSearch delivers only age-appropriate videos and web content that is approved by learning experts
- Designed and built with kids in mind to withstand drops and rough handling with a shock-absorbing frame and protective screen
- Hundreds of educator-approved learning games, eBooks, apps, and more designed by learning experts for kids that draw from 2,600 skills beyond core subject areas
Cost: *Approx. $89.99
Fable is a browser-free kids’ tablet made for discovering and learning. Kids get access to books, apps, games, videos, project, and sharing in a safe environment when they use this tablet, suitable for ages 3-10.
- Create original artwork, take photos, explore the world, read, and play via a simple, intuitive user interface
- Parents can manage a password-protected environment and easily choose and monitor shared content
- Browser free to protect kids from inappropriate internet content
- VizitMe, a digital content store built exclusively for kids, offers top children’s titles from leading publishers, app developers, and popular authors
- Available in four colors
21. Nabi SE
The Nabi SE opens a world of play and learning to kids. With this tablet, kids can get as creative as they want in their play and learn material that is personalized for them. For ages six and up, the Nabi SE features gamified courseware to help kids master math, reading, and writing concepts.
- Wings Learning System builds confidence and a love for learning with content for grades pre-K through six
- Nabi Time Controls give parents the ability to manage and enforce screen time
- Nabi Mode gives kids complete access to age-appropriate apps, games, eBooks, and videos
- Give kids real incentives for making good choices with apps such as Chore List, Nabi Coins, and Treasure Box
- Give kids social experiences just for them with Nabi Friends and Nabi Konnet; kids’ profiles are not searchable, and kids may connect only with parent-approved friends using unique friend codes
22. LeapPad Glo Learning Tablet
The LeapPad Glo Learning Tablet is a 5-inch tablet for kids ages 3-9. Available in teal or purple, this tablet for younger kids is just the right size for their hands and is built touch to withstand tough kids and drops.
- Access more than 1,000 games, eBooks, videos, and apps designed or approved by LeapFrog’s learning experts (sold separately)
- Front and back cameras for taking pictures and videos and adding wacky effects with the Photo Lab
- Games adapt to child’s learning level and pull from more than 2,600 skills across reading, writing, math, and more for a personalized learning experience
Cost: *Approx. $59.99
23. Lenovo Tab3 8 Tablet
Lenovo makes computers, laptops, tablets, and 2-in-1 devices. Their Tab3 8 Tablet features an Android OS and 16GB hard drive. Designed for the family but appropriate for kids ages six and up, the Lenovo Tab3 8 Tablet includes a multi-user mode, that keeps each family member’s preferences separate, along with a dedicated kids’ mode for safe web browsing and tools to restrict access for worry-free kids’ use.
- Adaptive display technology reduces eye strain and optimizes lighting and contrast for activities such as reading and watching videos, plus includes a safe mode to remove all blue light to protect users with sensitive eyes
- Dual front-facing speakers with Dolby Atmos technology deliver sound that flows all around you
- Up to nine hours of battery life
Cost: Starting at $109.99
24. Kurio Smart
The Kurio Smart tablet is appropriate for kids ages six and up. It includes preloaded popular games such as Bubble Blast 2, Happy Chef, Hill Climb Racing, and more. The Kurio Smart also gives kids access to thousands of completely parent-approved, kid-safe cartoons with Toon Goggles.
- Access thousands of apps downloadable on the Windows Store
- Kids get moving with the exclusive Kurio motion games
- Best-in-class parental control for time management, app management, and internet filtering
- Loaded with Microsoft Office for parents and older kids, plus free unlimited storage with OneDrive
Cost: *Approx. $189.79
25. Acer Iconia One 8
The Acer Iconia One 8 delivers fun for everyone and is best suited for kids at least six years of age. Its 8-inch HD screen delivers stunning displays and is easy to see from nearly any angle thanks to its IPS technology. Kids have an easy time using this tablet because of its 10-finger touch support for multi-finger gestures.
- Quad-core processor and display chip to make web browsing, gaming, and watching videos smooth and speedy
- Includes the Kids Center for a child-friendly interface and kid-appropriate content
- Password-protected parental controls for controlling accounts, content, and daily use limits
- Up to 9 hours of battery life
- Built-in Micro SD slot takes cards up to 128GB
Cost: *Approx. $95
Top tween tablets (ages 8-12)
26. Amazon Fire 7
The Amazon Fire 7 is a top-selling tablet on Amazon and has a 4/5 star rating from more than 81,000 customer reviews. This tablet is available with an 8GB or 16GB digital storage capacity and comes in four colors. A much more affordable option than the all-new Amazon Fire HD 8, the Fire 7 tablet is a good choice for tweens who are ready for their own tablet.
- 7-inch IPS display with a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor
- Access Amazon Underground for thousands of apps, games, and in-app items free of charge
- Choose from millions of movies, TV shows, songs, Kindle eBooks, and games
- MicroSD slot for up to 200GB of expandable storage
- Up to 7 hours of battery life
Cost: *Approx. $49.99
27. Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite
Samsung’s Galaxy Tab E Lite gives tweens the ability to browse, game, or read on the bright, crisp 7-inch screen. Its portable size and sleek design make this tablet portable enough for kids to take just about anywhere.
- Up to 9 hours of internet usage
- Engaging, educational content for kids of nearly any age when you subscribe to Samsung Kids
- Parental controls for setting limits on tablet time, choosing app categories, and monitoring progress
- One free month of Samsung Kids included, along with a starter pack of content worth $75
- MicroSD card slot to expand the tablet’s memory from 8GB up to an additional 32GB
28. Apple iPad Air 2
Apple’s iPad Air 2 is a thin and lightweight tablet that is perfect for tweens because it is portable, enhances their school work, and delivers the graphics and speed they want for working, playing, surfing, and watching. It is a good idea to invest in protective covers and cases, such as the Smart Case, to protect the front and back of the iPad and make it more durable for tweens. The Apple iPad Air 2 also will accommodate your tween’s needs as they progress through high school.
- Improved Retina display for more vivid colors, greater contrast, and an antireflective coating to deliver one of the most beautiful tablet displays available today
- A8X chip delivers better CPU and graphics performance
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Advanced security with Touch ID technology
- Two cameras for advanced optics, improved sensors and larger pixels for FaceTime HD, improved low-light performance, and more
- 32GB Wi-Fi Only: $399
- 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $529
- 128GB Wi-Fi Only: $499
- 12GB Wi-FI + Cellular: $629
29. Amazon Fire HD 8
The Amazon Fire HD 8 is all new and boasts a 12-hour battery life, double the storage, and faster performance than the Fire 7. For tweens who love to game, read eBooks, and stream TV shows and movies, this tablet is a great choice. The Amazon Fire HD 8 is available in four colors and two storage capacities: 16GB or 32GB.
- Stunning 8-inch display and Dolby Audio
- Soon will feature the Alexa cloud-based voice service
- Access Amazon Underground for thousands of apps, games, and in-app items completely free of charge
- Choose from millions of movies, TV shows, songs, Kindle eBooks, apps, and games
- MicroSD card slot for up to 200GB of expandable storage
- Amazon Prime members get unlimited access to an enormous selection of songs, books, videos, and more
Cost: *Approx. $89.99
30. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
There are several options when it comes to the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 for your tween. First, you’ll need to decide if you want the Wi-Fi only model or the cellular data model. The Wi-Fi only model also is available in eight inches or 9.7 inches, or as the NOOK eight-inch model. No matter which you choose, you are sure to please your tween with the adaptive super AMOLED display and fast Octa-core processor.
- Adaptive display technology adjusts the brightness of the tablet for low light or sunlight
- Play games and switch between apps quickly and easily
- Expand the memory from 32GB to an additional 128GB with a MicroSD card
- Lightweight and portable to use for school and home, plus Microsoft Office allows users to work on one document across devices and review and save changes right on the tablet
Cost: *Starts at approx. $350
31. Apple iPad Mini 4
For those tweens who are gearing up to start high school soon, the Apple iPad Mini 4 is a great tablet choice. Thinner and lighter than previous models, the iPad Mini 4 enables users to edit videos, browse photos, and complete their work anytime, any place.
- Handles even the most demanding apps with the A8 hip and second-generation 64-bit desktop-class architecture
- Secure personal data with Touch ID; Touch ID also enables parents who share the iPad with their kids to block App Store and iTunes purchases
- Powerful built-in apps for surfing the web, checking email, editing movies and photos, writing reports, and reading books
- Access the App Store for access to nearly limitless apps
- Optional Smart Cover and silicone case available in a range of colors
- 32GB Wi-Fi: $399
- 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $529
- 128GB Wi-Fi: $499
- 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $629
Best tablets for teens (ages 13+)
32. Lenovo Yoga Book
While it isn’t a traditional tablet, Lenovo’s Yoga Book, which is the winner of the Red Dot Design Award, is a 2-in-1 that is perfect for teens. In fact, this tablet is perfect for older teens who are heading to college soon because the Yoga Book features ink on paper with its Real Pen, and then the tablet digitizes the notes. In no time at all, your teen will be able to edit, organize, merge, and share his notes with the Yoga Book.
- Included Book Pad clipboard magnetizes papers to easily keep them in place
- Digitizes notes before your eyes, or use the NoteSaver app to transform the Yoga Book into a smart paper pad folded open to take notes naturally
- Open the Yoga Book in Type Mode to see the easy-to-use Halo keyboard (which shows up on demand)
- Software-optimized keyboard auto-completes and auto-corrects as you type
- Up to 13 hours of battery life
Cost: Starting at $499.99
33. Microsoft Surface Book
Another tablet that isn’t traditional by any means, the Microsoft Surface Book is a top pick for older teens who are looking for a hybrid device. Part-tablet, part-laptop, the Surface Book is perfect for work, school, and play. One of the most expensive tablet picks, the Surface Book truly is a two-in-one device that enables students to run Windows, Office, and more but also is portable as a tablet to take to class and capture notes.
- Professional-grade software that will carry your teen through college
- Up to 12 hours of battery life for video playback
- Thin and lightweight making it possible to take it anywhere
- Detachable PixelSense Display works with the Surface Pen and touch
- Handwritten notes appear on screen just as they would with pen and paper
- Sign in with facial recognition technology that can remember multiple faces
- Relax and pay Xbox and PC games
Cost: Approx. $1499
34. Apple iPad Pro
The Apple iPad Pro is the next generation of iPad. Teens will be able to complete their work much more easily with this tablet by touching, swiping, or writing with a pencil. Available in a 12.9-inch model or 9.7-inch model, the iPad Pro is versatile enough to see your kids through high school and college.
- Multi-touch display
- The most vivid Retina display ever with the highest resolution of any iOS device gives the iPad Pro “the brightest and least reflective (display) in the world”
- Up to 25% greater color saturation than previous iPad models
- Up to 1.8 times the CPU performance of iPad Air 2, thanks to the A9X chip’s responsiveness
- 7-inch display
- 32GB Wi-Fi: $599
- 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $729
- 128GB Wi-Fi: $699
- 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $829
- 256GB Wi-Fi: $799
- 256GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $929
- 9-inch display
- 32GB Wi-Fi: $799
- 128GB Wi-Fi: $899
- 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $1,029
- 256GB Wi-Fi: $999
- 256GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $1,129
35. ASUS ZenPad S 8.0
The ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 is a lightweight 8-inch tablet that has an incredible 74% screen-to-body ratio. This teen-friendly tablet features ASUS VisualMaster, a suite of exclusive visual enhancement technologies combining hardware and software for optimizing the display for an incredible viewing experience. Teens especially love the audio experience delivered by this tablet.
- Powered by a 64-bit Intl Atom Z3530 processor with 2GB RAM for fast web surfing, smooth video playback, great gaming, and multi-tasking
- PixelMaster camera captures stunning, high-resolution photos with no shutter lag
- More than 1,000 features that improve upon the standard Android interface
- TriCover provides comprehensive, stylish protection and is available in three colors
- ASUS Z580CA–C1–BK ZenPad S 8: $279
- ASUS Z580C–B1 ZenPad S 8: $199
36. Google Pixel C
The Google Pixel C is a fast tablet that teens love for its high-resolution display and compact design. Its 10.2-inch display brings content to life and is portable and powerful enough to handle gaming marathons, photo editing, and more.
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Switch between swiping and typing with the Pixel C’s companion keyboard
- Screen adjusts to different angles for comfortable typing or watching
- Built-in Google apps for photos, movies, web browsing, and more
Cost: Starts at $499
37. LINSAY F-10HXD
LINSAY is a high-tech enterprise offering products that are advanced, yet affordable. Their F010HXD Quad Core Tablet is powered by the powerful 1.2 GHz quad-core processor Cortex A7. This tablet delivers faster app launches, faster website load times, and better performance. The battery provides more than 5 hours of reading, web surfing, or video watching time for teens who want to multi-task while using the tablet.
- 8GB internal memory and a MicroSD card slot supporting up to 64GB
- High-resolution display delivers an incredible multimedia experience
- Built-in front camera for live video chat and a powerful back camera with zoom system and flash
- 1-inch display
Cost: *Approx. $109.95
38. Microsoft Surface Pro 4
Microsoft’s Surface Pro 4 is a top tablet for older teens heading off to college. With a 12.3-inch screen and a stylus suited for OneNote, this tablet is perfect for taking notes. The tablet also can replace a laptop because it features the ideal balance between portability and power.
- Includes 6th generation Intel Core processors and up to 1TB of storage
- Built to run professional-grade software, Windows, and Office
- PixelSense Display delivers stunning color and contrast that springs to life with Surface Pen and touch
- Doubles as an ultrathin laptop or a powerful tablet
- 128GB/Intel Core m3 – 4GB RAM: $749
- 128GB/Intel Core i5 – 4GB RAM: $899
- 256GB/Intel Core i5 – 8 GM RAM: $1,299
- 256 GB/Intel Core i7 – 8GB RAM: $1,599
- 256GB/Intel Core i7 – 16GB RAM: $1,799
39. Samsung Galaxy TabPro S
Samsun’s Galaxy TabPro S is a top pick for teens who need a device that features a large screen for school work and entertainment. The optimized viewing experience, entertainment capabilities, and processing prowess of this tablet ensure that it will be used and loved by your teen for many years to come.
- 12-inch sAMOLED display
- High-resolution display to make videos, photos, and game look their very best
- Stream Xbox One games to your tablet to take your gaming anywhere
- Thousands of Windows apps at your fingertips
- Up to 10.5 hours of battery life
Cost: *Approx. $759
40. Dell Venue 8 Tablet
The Venue 8 Pro from Dell is a tablet that helps teens be more productive because it features the power of Windows and Office. If you are looking for an affordable tablet for your teen, we recommend the Dell Venue 8 7000 Tablet because it has fast processing speeds for optimal browsing and an 8.4-inch OLED infinity display with high resolution. The tablet also is an older model, which helps keep the price down.
- 4-inch OLED infinity display with 2560 x 1600 resolution
- Android OS
- Rear and front cameras
- Expand storage capacity with card-reader support for MicroSD, SDHC, and SDXC
- Thin, sleek design for portability
Cost: *Approx. $242.98
41. LG G Pad F 8.0” 2nd Gen ACG
LG is known for premium home appliances and electronics. Their G Pad F 8.0” 2nd Gen ACG features a display with zero-gap touch, 5 megapixel rear camera, Q Pair, and QuickRemote to help teens link their tablet to their Android smartphone so they can get notifications both places and to use their tablet as the remote control for the television, cable box, DVD player, and more.
- Dual Window allows teens to use two apps simultaneously on a split screen
- Create a 6-8 point tapping pattern for added security when getting to your home screen
- Customizable music library
- 2 MP front camera with gesture shot
Cost: *Approx. $162
42. NVIDIA SHIELD K1
If your teen is a gamer, the NVIDIA SHIELD K1 is the best choice of tablets for him. The all-new tablet is a high-performing Android device that serves as a gaming machine with the SHIELD controller and GeForce NOW game-streaming service. Please note, the SHIELD controller is sold separately from the tablet.
- Tablet powered by NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor, featuring a 192-core NVIDIA Kepler GPU and 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU
- Access incredible graphics from anywhere using GeForce NOW gaming supercomputers in the cloud
- Two ways to game: download a variety of Android games or instantly stream games from the cloud anywhere using GeForce NOW
- A full HD 1080p, 8-inch display and dual front-facing speakers
- MicroSD slot for expandable storage up to 128GB
- Optional tablet cover includes a kickstand
- SHIELD Tablet K1: $199.99
- Controller: $59.99
- Tablet K1 cover: $39.99
43. Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
The Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact is an 8.1-inch lightweight tablet that delivers the performance of a full-size tablet. As the Red Dot Award 2015 winner, this tablet is impressive and is a direct competitor of the Apple iPad Mini. Teens love the tablet because it offers premium audio, visual, and design.
- Elegant, yet durable with stainless steel corners, an ultra-slim frame, and a tempered glass front
- IP65/IP68 rating, making the tablet waterproof and resistant to dust
- Take pictures while swimming in freshwater for up to 30 minutes or diving up to 1.5 meters deep, as long as you firmly close the covers for the micro USB port, the micro SIM slot, and the memory card slot
- Features the brightest display from Sony and utilizes their intuitive contrast enhancement technology that makes viewing sharp even in sunlight
Cost: *Approx. $299.95
44. Microsoft Surface 3
If your teen loves the features of the Surface Book or the Surface Pro 4 but you don’t love the price tag of those tablets, the Surface 3 may be a more affordable option for you without sacrificing too many of the features everyone loves about the Surface tablet family. In fact, the Surface 3 is billed as being “the perfect blend of performance and value,” so it may be the best choice for your teen.
- Incredibly portable, yet capable of running full desktop software
- Available with optional LTE mobile data so your teen can be connected from anywhere
- Lightest, most compact device in the Surface family
- All the ports needed, such as a full size USB port and a Mini DisplayPort for connecting to hardware and accessories
- Choose the Type Cover if your teen needs to type email or work on school presentations
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
Cost: Starting at $499
45. Nexus 9
HTC’s Google Nexus 9 is a hit with teens because it allows them to work and play hard. This tablet’s 8.9-inch screen and front-facing speakers deliver high-quality audio and visual experiences. Teens also prefer the Nexus 9 because of its intuitive voice commands and automatic Android updates.
- 64-bit processor
- Total device integration for mobility and access to more than a million apps
- Brushed metal frame with soft grip back
- Detachable keyboard attaches magnetically and pairs wirelessly with Bluetooth (sold separately)
- Available in three colors
- 16GB Wi-Fi: $399
- 32GB Wi-Fi: $479
- 32GB LTE: $599
46. Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
If your teen prefers a larger display, the Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet may be a good alternative to the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. This tablet’s 10.1-inch display offers a premium visual display and high-res audio to give teens the best user experience available from Sony.
- Display is 40% brighter than the Xperia Z2 tablet screen
- 2K display built on Sony TV technology
- Digital noise canceling support so teens can work without distraction
- Fastest performing tablet from Sony with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor with integrated LTE and 64-bit Octa-core CPU
- Reach up to 50% faster Wi-Fi speeds with the latest smart connectivity technologies
- Highest waterproof and dust-tight rating in mobile devices
- Dock the Bluetooth keyboard wirelessly
- PS4 Remote Play
Cost: *Approx. $630
47. Huawei MateBook
Huawei quickly is becoming a contender in the electronics device arena, and their products and services are sold in more than 170 countries. Their MateBook is intended for business use, but it is a great tablet for teens who soon will be going to college because it is portable and powerful.
- Built with a 6th Generation Intel Core m7 dual-core processor that registers an unbelievably quick 3.1GHz
- Includes the Huawei MatePen for complete control and focus while working and drawing; the pen’s sensor detects 2,048 levels of sensitivity and an easy eraser mode
- Battery withstands 29 hours of music, 9 hours of video, and 10 hours of work
- Windows 10
Cost: *Approx. $579.99
Top phablets for teens (ages 13+)
48. iPhone 7 Plus
The iPhone 7 Plus falls into the phablet category that is perfect for teens (and adults). A combination of phone and tablet, the iPhone 7 Plus features an advanced camera system, best performance and battery life in any iPhone, and immersive stereo speakers. But, it’s the iPhone 7 Plus’ bright, colorful display that makes it a top phablet for teens.
- Immersive stereo speakers
- Splash and water resistant
- 12MP camera with optical image stabilization, 7MP FaceTime HD camera, and Quad-LED True Tone flash
- Retina HD display covers a wide color gamut, is 25% brighter, and features 3D touch
- A10 Fusion Chip is the most powerful chip ever in a smartphone
- Faster LTE with the best worldwide roaming
- 5-inch display
- Starts at $37.41/month with the iPhone Upgrade Program
- Starts at $769
49. Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is a phablet well suited to teens because it has a certified water-resistant rating that ensures the phone can repel spills, splashes, and dunks even without a protective case. This phablet is slim, comfortable in the hand, and features a curved screen that makes it easy to use and see.
- 32GB with an additional 256 GB via MicroSD card; no need for clouds or hard drives
- 5-inch display with a dual edge
- Dual Pixel technology with an autofocus that is fast and seamless and enables teens to capture sudden movements even in low light
- Fast wireless charging
- Powered by the latest Android Marshmallow OS for less battery drain from unused apps
Cost: *Approx. $790