Ask any parent with a teenager, and they’ll tell you that parenting teens today is tough. Teens have more freedom at an earlier age nowadays. They have more opportunities to explore the virtual world, thanks to the always-connected society we live in. Today’s teens have smartphones, laptops, and even smart watches. While parents give their teens the freedom to explore their own interests and make their own mistakes, it’s incredibly nerve-wracking to send your teenager out into the world. Even if it’s just an overnight stay at a friend’s house. In the cyber world, parents have viable concerns about bullying, predators, and the unknown. The good news is no matter what your parenting style, there’s an app that suits your comfort level.
We’ve rounded up 50 useful apps for parents of teens. This list of apps includes safe driving apps, home safety apps, and family organization apps. Note, we’ve listed the following 50 apps in alphabetical order by category. We’ve included available pricing information, but some apps offer different subscription services or in-app purchases that you’ll want to verify before you buy.
Jump to a specific section:
Family organization and safety education apps
Alarm.com offers a connected home security app that makes it possible to monitor your home (and your teenagers) when you can’t be there. Gain control from your iPhone, iPad, or even your Apple Watch. Control all your smart devices, watch video to get real visibility into what’s going on with your kids.
- Control all of your connected devices from your smartphone or tablet
- Watch live or recorded video
- Get instant alerts when something happens
- Create and manage custom alerts and Smart Schedules
- Accompanies an Alarm.com home system
- Systems typically cost $100-$200 upfront with $40-$60 monthly subscription costs
Common Sense Media is one of the most recognized resources for parents, offering comprehensive information on digital media safety for kids in various age groups. Parents can read reviews and expert ratings on the apps that kids are using to determine appropriateness.
- Access more than 25,000 ratings and reviews
- Find out how much violence, sexual content, bad language and other content is in apps, movies, and more
- Hand-picked “Best Lists” curated by editors
- Conversation starters for talking to kids about safety
- Notifications when new reviews are posted
Cozi is an award-winning organization app for families. You can keep track of appointments, schedules for practices and lessons, shopping list, and more to keep the whole family on the same page.
- Keep track of activities and appointments for every family member
- Create and share shopping lists, chore lists, and more
- Store recipes and add ingredients to your shopping list
- To-do lists, meal planning, and family journal
A creation of Common Sense Media, Digital Compass is a fun and engaging app designed for kids in 6th through 9th grades. If you have a younger teen and you’re concerned about their knowledge of digital safety, the interactive games in this app can help you convey important safety lessons.
- Topical modules
- Corresponding mini-games
- Explore, experiment, use deductive reasoning to develop solutions
- Rationalizing and risk-taking activities
- Relationships and communication
- Each module has 9 endings, 32 paths, and 51 unique combinations based on decision points
iKeepSafe’s BeAPro Parent App assesses your household and identifies where gaps in attitudes and behaviors exist, offering targeted resources to help parents communicate with and educate their children and teens to promote technology health and safety.
- Conducts household assessment
- Identifies gaps in your family’s behaviors and attitudes
- Provides robust educational resources to guide you in promoting safety
- Developed by experts including child psychologists, investigators and prosecutors, and defense attorneys
InternetMatters.org is an organization dedicated to boosting online safety for children and teens. The Internet Matters app puts much of the site’s information in the palm of your hand, helping parents learn along with their kids about staying safe in the digital world.
- Select specific categories to learn about (cyberbullying, privacy and theft, chatting, etc.)
- Answer questions to test knowledge
- Access more information about any question easily
- Makes an excellent conversation starter to touch on sensitive topics
myHomework Student Planner is an app to help your teens stay on task and on track with their homework and studying. It syncs across devices, so your teenagers are able to access their assignment information and schedule from any device.
- Eliminates or compliments paper planners
- Quickly add homework, tests, projects, and lessons
- Get reminders when assignments and projects are due
- Works offline; syncs when a connection is available
- Integrates with Teachers.io
- Free (ad supported)
- Premium: $4.99/year
OurPact teaches responsible and safe digital citizenship through tools that enable parents to set time limits on smartphone use, create schedules, block apps and internet access, and even reward your teens with extra time when they deserve it. With OurPact, parents can finally balance the risks and rewards of mobile technology.
- Block social media access
- Create an agreement with your teens
- Block apps
- Schedule device use
- Manage chores, academic responsibilities, and more
- Coordinate the whole family’s schedule with reminders
Offered by LogSat Software, the Sex Offender Search (SOS) app helps you locate registered sex offenders and sexual predators. Determine if they live in your neighborhood or in the areas where your teenagers will be spending time, such as friends’ homes and other places.
- Activate your phone’s GPS
- View all registered offenders on a map
- Search by address, zip code, or near contacts in your address book
Wanna is like eBay for parents, offering tools and features to help you buy and sell locally. When your teen wants the latest trendy clothes or gear, or you’re looking to recoup some funds from all that must-have stuff your teens never used, Wanna helps you score and sell stuff with other local parents.
- Sell gently used items for extra cash
- Buy needed items from local parents
- Find local services with reviews from other parents
- Browse by category to find stuff you’re interested in
- Connect to people near you with shared interests
Mobile monitoring apps
If you don’t find it necessary to monitor your teens’ mobile device usage, promote good habits, and keep screen time to a reasonable limit, Checky will help. This app will assist you and your teen determine how much time they’re spending on their smartphone and how many times they check their phone each day.
- Simple app tells you how many times you check your phone
- Monitor usage with your teen
- Determine whether they spend too much time on their device
- Map your phone habit
- Compare stats with friends
Curbi is a monitoring app that enables parents to block content they deem inappropriate, set ground rules, and time limits. This app ensures your teens are spending the appropriate time studying or sleeping, rather than of on their smartphones. It also features other tools to make sure your teens are using their devices safely.
- Block specific apps or call a time-out for studying
- Filter out adult sites and other inappropriate websites
- Keep track of the sites your child visits
- Free (up to 2 devices)
- Premium: $3.99/month
- Internet Filter (iOS only): additional $2.99 per month, per iOS device
DinnerTime Plus is a smarter solution for parental control, helping parents get their kids and teens back at the dinner table for quality family time.
- Remind teens to take time off their phones to study
- Dinner time, bed time, and break control options
- Set scheduled breaks that block access during pre-determined times
- Control time limits for device usage
- Detailed device usage reporting
FamilyTime is the essential app for parents to limit screen time with tools such as app and internet blocking, text message tracking, location monitoring, and more.
- App blocker
- SOS/panic button
- Limit screen time
- Teen safe driving – define speed limits, monitor when they are speeding
- Watchlist contact lists – set contacts and get notified when they attempt contact
- Family locator and mobile geofence
- Monitor text messages
- Family calendar
- PickMeUp notices
- MyFamily 2 (2 child devices): $1.70/month ($35 charged annually)
- “MyFamily 5 (5 child devices): $1.15/month ($69 charged annually)
- MyFamily (1 child device): $2.25/month ($27 charged annually)
FlexiSPY is a more intrusive mobile and online monitoring app, but it’s useful for some parents who have reason to be concerned about their teens interactions online. With more than 150 features to give you insight into all your teens’ activities on their devices, you can be sure they’re not putting themselves in danger.
- Ambient recording
- Call recording and interception
- Monitor email, Facebook, Skype, and other popular messaging and social apps
- View notes, locations, calendar, browser and app activity
- Seee RemCam, photos, wallpapers and videos
- Compatible with Android and iOS devices
- Premium: Plan: $68/month, $99/3 months, $149/year
- Extreme: $199/quarter, $349/year
A free internet filter and parental control software, K9 Web Protection helps parents control the content their kids can access online. If you’re looking for a free and easy way to prevent your teen from viewing adult content, malicious websites, sites that promote violence, or other concerning content, K9 Web Protection is a useful tool.
- Block websites in more than 70 categories
- Force SafeSearch on all major search engines
- Configure custom lists to set allowable and prohibited content
- Override blocked pages with a password
- Easily generate reports to monitor your teens’ online activity
This monitoring app offers parental controls for phones, tablets, and computers. Mobicip provides an all-in-one solution for online safety.
- Remotely manage your settings
- Monitor internet and app usage
- Review usage, apps, and requests
- Respond instantly from your own device
- Review ratings, price, and category for all apps being used on your family’s devices
- Detailed reports of online browsing history
- Set time limits and custom filters
- Free (pre-defined filter levels)
- Premium: $39.99/year (5 devices)
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing (20+ devices)
Moment helps smartphone users become more mindful about the time they spend on their devices, making it a valuable tool for parents who want to ensure that their teens aren’t overdoing screen time. Additionally, parents can manage the whole family’s screen time from a single device.
- Manage the whole family’s screen time
- Force users off their devices when over the limit
- See what apps teens are using most
- Set screen-free family time, which sounds an alarm when anyone picks up their device
- Schedule family dinner for the same time each day
- 6 relaxing reminder sounds and 6 intense sounds for daily limit reminders
mSpy is the ultimate online and mobile monitoring tool that works across all devices. With this monitoring software, parents can monitor their teens’ messaging and chat apps, SMS messaging, call logs, and more.
- Monitor and restrict incoming calls
- Track sent and received SMS messages
- Track GPS location
- Set geofencing paramaters
- Monitor internet use with browsing history, keyword alerts, and more
- Basic: $29.99/month (discounts for multi-month purchases)
- Premium: $69.99/month (discounts for multi-month purchases)
- Bundle Kit: $84.99/month (discounts for multi-month purchases)
This app works on software bundle with Net Nanny’s award-winning internet protection that covers your whole family’s smartphones, tablets, and computers for a single monthly fee. Net Nanny provides comprehensive online monitoring and safety tools for parents.
- Single admin console to manage all devices
- Internet filtering in 18 categories
- Age-based profiles
- Profanity masking
- White-list/black-list tools
- Custom filtering categories
- Set time limits
- Remote administration and reporting
- Enhanced reporting and email notifications
- 5-licenses for $59.99 USD (a $74.99 value)
- 10-licenses for $89.99 USD (a $119.90 value)
- 15-licenses for $119.99 USD (a $171.41 value)
- Not available for Windows XP
- Choose any combination of licenses: Net Nanny 7 for Windows, Net Nanny 3 for Mac, Net Nanny for Android, or Net Nanny for iOS based on your family’s internet protection needs
- Bonus: Get a free, one-year license of Net Nanny Social ($19.99 value) – monitor your teens’ friends, pictures, and posts on social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Google+ and LinkedIn
An online parental control service, ParentalBoard enables parents to easily monitor and manage their teens’ digital habits. Keep your teenagers’ mobile devices secure and gain peace of mind from knowing that they’re not engaging in risky behavior.
- Monitor calls and text messages
- Whitelist certain contacts, apps, and websites
- SPIN safe browser for secure browsing
- Screen time controls
- App blocking by age or individually
- Android: $12/year
- iPhone: Free
PhoneSheriff is an app for parents concerned about their teens’ smartphone and tablet usage, with monitoring tools and blocking features to help keep them focused on safe media.
- Block phone numbers from calls and text messages
- Set custom time restrictions
- Block specific apps you deem inappropriate
- Monitor text messages
- Get custom activity alerts
- Real-time location tracking
- Lock commands
- Compatible with Android, iPhone, and iPad
Protect, understand, and manage your child’s online activity with Qustodio. With this parental control app, you can block pornography, monitor social networking activities, set usage time limits, and more.
- Block pornography, even in private browsing mode
- Monitor time spent on social media
- Set multi-device time limits
- Control time spent on games and apps
- Track SMS messages and calls
- Location tracking
- Panic button
- Free (1 user, 1 device)
- Premium 5: $49.95/year (5 users, 5 devices)
- *Premium 10: $87.95/year (10 users, 10 devices)
Safe Lagoon is one of the most comprehensive free parental control apps, with a multitude of features designed to help parents monitor and manage their kids’ online habits.
- Block dangerous websites
- Know your teens’ location and stay updated on their movements
- WebCenter portal for easy management
- Monitor social networking activities
- Instant notifications of suspicious activity
- Schedule game and internet access
Screen Guide provides an easy way to remotely monitor and manage teens’ app usage. It also can be used as an evaluation app, measuring trends and analytics to gain a better understanding of your child’s digital behavior patterns.
- Cross-device compatibility
- Easily customize restrictions
- Allow, block, and remove apps remotely
- Analytics for app usage, screen time, and devices patterns
- Set time limits
- Geofence notifications
- Manage native apps such as browser and camera
- Free (basic version)
- Premium: $2.99/month (install, remove, and block apps; app analtytics)
With Screentime, you can manage and monitor how much time your teens are spending on their smartphones and tablets, ensure that they’re keeping up with homework, and even manage chores and to-do lists.
- Set homework time and bedtime
- Set time limits
- Pause your child’s device or grant more time as a reward
- Create check lists of homework assignments, chores, or other tasks
- Free (1 device per child)
- Premium: $3.99/month (unlimited devices per child and added features)
SecureTeen is a parental control and monitoring app designed specifically for parents of teenagers, with features that work to keep your teens safe from the dangers that lurk online – cyberstalking, cyberbullying, and more.
- Filter the web to eliminate pornography and other inappropriate content
- Application blocking
- Facebook and Instagram monitoring
- Web history logging
- Time management
- Text message logging
- Location tracking
- Remote device control
Cost: 1 year/ 3 Devices: $39.99
In three simple steps, you can keep your teenagers safer on their mobile devices with ShieldMyTeen’s internet filtering, application blocking, and other monitoring tools to restrict your child’s access to only safe, approved content.
- Internet filtering
- Application blocking
- Pornography blocking
- Web history logging
- Remote management
- Location tracking
- SMS logging
Chosen by more than one million parents to keep teens safe, TeenSafe is an app designed by parents, for parents that enables you to keep tabs on your teens’ online behavior and physical location.
- See sent, received, and deleted SMS and chat messages
- View call logs of incoming and outgoing phone calls
- Get web browsing history
- Access to the current smartphone location on a map
Offered by MobileGuard, the leader in comprehensive mobile communication monitoring, TextGuard is an app that provides SMS archiving, mobile voice recording, secure messaging, and more to enhance mobile security.
- Monitor and receive alerts for predefined words and phrases
- Message search capabilities
- Access archived information from your computer
- Phone log of incoming/outgoing numbers
- 1 month: $9.75
- 3 months: $25.75
- 6 months: $49.75
- 12 months: $89.75
Real-time location tracking coupled with a complete location history of the phone means you’ll never be in doubt whether your teen is where they say they are. This is all thanks to The Truth Spy. A plethora of other features makes this one of the most comprehensive mobile monitoring apps for parents.
- Real-time location tracking
- View location history of the phone
- Access to sent/received and deleted SMS and iMessages
- See call history and call deleted history
- Call recording
- Auto answer/spy call
- Gain access to internet browsing history and bookmarks
- Social messenger monitoring
- Some features available only with Premium or Gold plans
- Standard: $16.99/month
- Premium: $19.99/month
- Gold: $22.99/month
uKnowKids provides a sophisticated yet easy-to-use dashboard that illustrates your teens’ digital footprint. This measurement allows you to gain insights such as who your kids interact with most frequently, when they spend the most time on their devices, and monitor the content they’re sharing and consuming.
- Monitor text messages, contacts, call history, and more
- Location tracking
- Review pictures and MMS messages
- Call log to find out who your teen talks to, when, and for how long
- Text lingo translation
- Real-time analytics and alerts
- Premier: $10/month
- Premier Annual: $100/year
- Premier Lifetime: $180/lifetime
- Premier Plus Apple: $60/one-time activation
Safety away from home apps
Amego was developed by the parents of Daniel Morcombe, a 13-year-old boy who was tragically abducted in Australia. It’s designed to give parents the peace of mind of knowing that their kids are where they’re supposed to be, offering alerts if they veer from their expected path.
- Unobtrusive and invisible
- Get alerts when your teen doesn’t arrive where they should
- Get alerts when your teen travels outside a determined “safe zone”
- Teens don’t have to remember to check in
- Trip alerts when out-of-the-ordinary events happen, pre-determined by you
Cost: $5.99 for use by up to 6 people
My Family Orbit is an all-inclusive app that lets you know whether your teen is practicing safe driving habits, allows you to monitor photos and calendar events, and locate your teen in seconds with the Family GPS Tracker.
- Monitor calendar events
- Locate your teen in seconds with GPS tracking
- Monitor photos and mobile data usage
- Create and share multiple accounts so both parents can monitor
- Family Places geo-fencing for creating designated safe zones
- SOS and panic alerts for emergencies
- Free (up to 3 members)
- $4.95/month (up to 10 members)
Family Tracker is a GPS-tracking solution enabling users to track Android and iOS devices, including iPads, and send free text messages between them.
- Geofencing – get real-time notifications when a device enters or leaves a specified area
- Stealth Ping – forces an automatic location notification without alerting the device user
- Energy-efficient app with no impact on battery life
- Works worldwide
- View historical location (breadcrumbs) for every tracked device
- Uses all possible location methods for accuracy and reliability (GPS, Cell Tower Triangulation and Wi-Fi (if enabled)
- iPhone/iPad trial: 2 weeks free
- iPhone: $3.99
- iPad: $5.99
- Android: $4.99
Glympse is a fast and simple way to share a location based on a mobile device. Have your teenager send a Glympse to let you know how far away from home they are or to confirm that they’ve reached their destination.
- Select a contact, set a duration, and hit send
- Set destinations
- Customize messages
- Anyone can receive a Glympse – no software or setup required
Another app developed by the Daniel Morcombe Foundation (see Amego, #33), the Help Me app is a lifeline for kids and teens while they’re away from home by sounding an alarm and sending an SMS to up to two designated emergency contacts when activated.
- Geo-coordinates from the location the text was sent included in SMS alerts
- Trusted Safety Network numbers easily updated when regular contacts won’t be nearby or available
- Notes section to document important information
- Robust resources section to educate parents and kids about safety
Home Away Personal Security Monitoring is like the panic button, revisited. With this app installed on your teens’ mobile devices, they have instant contact with emergency services. This app provides assistance if they’re injured, in danger, or need help.
- Tap the app and speak to a responder
- Responders instantly dispatch appropriate emergency services
- Live audio, video, and GPS are transmitted to Home Away’s UL-Listed central monitoring station
- Quarterly: $33/month
- Monthly: $35/month
- Annually: $31/month
Location and communication combine to keep your family connected, no matter how many miles divide you. And with features to promote safe driving, you can have peace of mind when your teens are on the road.
- Instantly see everyone in your private circle on the map
- Message everyone in your circle at the same time or 1:1
- Send quick check-ins to let other family members know you’re safe
- Add “Places” to automate alerts when family members arrive at specified locations
- Crash detection, emergency response, and driving analysis
MamaBear is the ultimate parenting app, offering a multitude of features to help you stay on top of what your teens are doing. Know that they’re safe, and even keep tabs on their behavior behind the wheel.
- Send messages and photos
- Get game alerts from TeamSnap
- Social media monitoring with alerts
- Review incoming and outgoing text messages (Android only)
- Share locations and get arrival and departure notifications
- Speeding alerts let you know when your teen or their friends are driving too fast
- Free (advertiser supported)
- Premium: $14.99/3 months, $24.99/6 months
EMS Options offers several app choices designed to put your essential medical information in the palm of your hand. If your teenager is driving or spending a lot of time on their own with friends, this app can be a life-saver.
- Fast 911 access
- Dials emergency services and sets phone into Alert mode if patient becomes unconscious
- Audio recorded message that plays on opening (recorded by user)
- Password-protected insurance information
- Quickview capability for easy EMS access to essential health information
- Stores all info necessary to treat your family members in an emergency
Road safety apps
Automatic Pro is a car-monitoring app ideal for parents with teens who recently started driving. And this is arguably one of the most nerve-wracking events throughout the parenting journey. It’s actually an adapter that is secured under the dashboard and then monitors driving. It works by collecting data via the Automatic Pro app.
- Crash alert service with 24/7 emergency response contacts
- Connects with a variety of other apps and services
- Ensure your teen is safe on the road by keeping track of the car
- Monitor your teen’s speeds and driving habits
Cost: $129.95 for the Automatic Pro adapter; free companion apps for iOS, Android and web
Cellcontrol is a product that gives parents peace of mind by preventing their teens from texting while driving. An award-winning service recognized by the National Traffic Safety Institute, you can monitor your teens’ driving habits and discourage distracted driving with the help of this tool.
- Eliminates the temptation to talk or text while driving
- Alerts and scores let you know how safely your teen is driving
- Location and parental controls
- Setup in under 5 minutes
- Vehicle motion activated
- Enforceable and tamper resistant
- Supports iOS, Android, Apple, Windows Mobile and select BREW (flip phones) phones
- 1 car: $129
- 2 cars: $258 (currently $219)
- 3 cars: $387 (currently $319)
Powered by iSpeech, DriveSafe.ly is an app that puts a stop to distracted driving by reading SMS messages out loud so that drivers don’t feel tempted to look at their smartphones instead of the road. It’s a helpful app to keep your teens focused on the road with hands-free operation and customizable auto-responders to eliminate texting while driving.
- Reads SMS messages out loud
- Hands-free operation
- Simple, one-touch activation
- Optional customizable auto-responders
- Bluetooth and radio transmitter compatible
- Single user: $13.95/year or $3.99/month
- Family pack: $34.95/year or $9.99/month
A service brought to you by Verizon, Hum puts some smarts in your car. It’s a simple service for smarter, safer, and more connected driving. This is in large part due to features such as roadside and emergency assistance, vehicle location, and alerts that let parents know when their teens aren’t practicing safe driving habits.
- Vehicle location guides drivers back to their car
- Set reminders for oil changes and other maintenance
- Get alerts if the car exceeds a designated speed
- Boundary alerts when the car leaves a designated geographic area
Cost: $10/month per car plus taxes and fees
With RoadReady, you can track your teens’ driving experience. Offered by the Parent’s Supervised Driving Program, it’s an easy, convenient way to log the required supervised driving experience while teaching sound safe driving habits.
- Track time spent behind the wheel
- Learn safe driving habits
- Track driving conditions
- View summaries
- Download driving logs
- Identify areas for improvement
- Parental pointers
A driver safety app, SecuraFone is a free tool to promote safe driving for your teen. It’s a life-saving tool that works to prevent texting while driving, offers easy access to emergency services with a handy panic slider, and much more. It’s an essential safety app for teens who are behind the wheel.
- Panic slider with fail safe
- Automatically dials any number you specify
- Unlimited, customizable safety alerts
- Secure tracking dashboard
- Alerts show addresses, speed, and turn-by-turn directions
- GPS location
Provided by State Farm, Steer Clear is a helpful mobile application that promotes safe driving for drivers under the age of 25. From taking a Safe Driver Pledge to accessing discounts for safe driving (if you’re insured by State Farm), this app offers helpful tools for your teenage driver.
- Take the Safe Driver Pledge
- Earn Steer Clear Safe Driver discounts
- Learn safe driving behaviors
- Find an agent feature to easily find an agent
- Driving tips for hazardous weather
Text Limit targets one of the most dangerous teen behaviors: texting while driving. It’s the only guaranteed way to curb distracted driving. Text Limit is designed to save lives.
- Set the minimum speed at which you want to block distractions
- You can always make 911 calls regardless of speed
- Set a top speed and get alerts when it’s exceeded
- Geo-located the enrolled phone on a map anytime
TrueMotion Family Safe Driving promotes safe driving habits for the whole family. From seeing how your family drives, to viewing their location history, and pulling up their current location, TrueMotion helps parents stay in the loop even after their teens are behind the wheel.
- See where your teen is
- View travel history to find out what route they took
- Monitor driving safety (find out if they’re texting and driving, speeding, tailgating, etc.)
- Compare how your teen ranks to the rest of the family in terms of safe driving